Yerevan, Armenia | AFP – Floods in northern Armenia killed at least two people as they destroyed key roads and bridges, forcing some 200 to evacuate, officials said on Sunday.

Floods caused by heavy rain in the northern Lori region have left two people dead and two more missing, the Minister of Territorial Administration and Infrastructures, Gnel Sanosyan, told journalists.

The country’s interior ministry said earlier that 232 people were evacuated from their homes.

Several bridges and parts of a strategic highway linking the mountainous Caucasus country with Georgia were destroyed after the Debed river burst its banks, the ministry said.

Armenia’s railway operator said it has cancelled trains to Georgia due to a landslide on the line.

Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan headed to the flood-affected area, where search and rescue operations and emergency recovery efforts are underway, his spokeswoman Nazeli Baghdasaryan said on social media.

Around 40,000 people are affected by flooding each year in Armenia, costing the country around $100 million in national GDP, according to the World Bank.

mkh-im/yad

© Agence France-Presse

Featured image credit: wirestock – Freepik.com

Satellite Image: City of Valletta, Malta
Image of the day: Valletta, a Renaissance city carved into Malta’s coastlineNews

Image of the day: Valletta, a Renaissance city carved into Malta’s coastline

On Malta’s north-eastern coast, Valletta stands as a fortified Renaissance capital, shaped by military engineering and enclosed by the sea. The city occupies a narrow…
Muser NewsDeskMuser NewsDeskFebruary 15, 2026 Full article
Image: Greta Thunberg
Greta Thunberg fined over Swedish parliament climate protestsNews

Greta Thunberg fined over Swedish parliament climate protests

Stockholm, Sweden | AFP A Stockholm court fined climate activist Greta Thunberg on Wednesday for disobeying police orders after blocking access to Sweden's parliament during…
SourceSourceMay 8, 2024 Full article
Image: Mangrove Roots
Bangladesh charges 26 for destruction of vast mangrove forestNews

Bangladesh charges 26 for destruction of vast mangrove forest

Dhaka, Bangladesh | AFP Bangladeshi police have charged 26 people for destroying a swath of mangrove forest that protects the low-lying nation from storm surge…
SourceSourceJuly 11, 2024 Full article